History, location, map

The Regional Museum of Folk Architecture and Life Chernivsi (municipal institution). The outdoor architectural complex of the museum is situated on the north-eastern side of Chernivtsi town. The idea to set up such an institution was discussed as early as 1906, at the scientific reunions from Salzburg (Austria) where there were discussions about its construction plans. When this project became reality, the first outdoor folk museum was open in Ukraine.

In 1920 at the People’s House in Chernivtsi, with the efforts of the collectors’ society, steps were taken to set up the Ukrainian Ethnographic Museum. Its manager, doctor V.Zalozetski published in 1928 a brochure called <The Ukrainian Folk Museum >, where he justified the necessity and stressed the objectives of such a museum in Bucovina, providing instructions for the folk collectors. “Our Museum - said Mr. V.Zalozetski, - must stand out and impress through quality, not through a large quantity of exhibits. We do not want to create a dead collection; we hope to offer people a live image of the traditional life. The Museum must serve the People, that is why it has to have the roots in it.”

In 1934, with the help of Mr. V. Zalozetski, on mountain Teteno in Chernivtsi, a Hutsuls house was built, adorned with sculptures, decorations and roof, including large gates (for carriage access) and small access gate (for people access). This house was meant to be the starting point for a small Hutsuls art museum. Unfortunately, there is not much information concerning this museum. Apparently it was burnt at the end of the 1930s. The sculptured gate which bears the inscription “«1934 NOVEMBER 8TH » is the only piece of the museum still standing. At present, the gate is in placed within the Regional Museum of Folk Architecture and Life Chernivsi.

The Council of Ministers of the Soviet Union decided the setting up of the museum, on July 19 1977.

 The preliminary project was elaborated by the Chernivtsi branch of the Civil Construction Institute. (architect G. Pleguta). The architects of the museum undertook the detailed design of the museum.

At the moment, the exhibition is made up of two ethnographic and architectural areas – «Hotenscina» and  «West Podnistrovea » (9,3790 ha). The union of the two areas: «Hutula», «Subcarpatica» (6,4559 ha) and of the archaeological sector of old Bucovina is planned for the future.

The museum includes more than 35 architectural exhibits – representative for the folk architecture in the latter half of the 18th century and the first half of the 20th century. Examples of such exhibits are:  private buildings and annexes (houses, store rooms, cellars, chicken coops, stables, barns etc.), buildings for common use (mills, blacksmith’s shop, hardware workshop, shops, Mayoralty, Church, belfry). The architectural monuments are completed with the traditional interiors. A replica of an underground hut from the 8th century (the old house) is placed in the museum – the number one archaeological object.

The museum inventory includes approximately 8,000 objects: farming machinery, tools, household tools, folk costumes, fabric, wood, metal, clay objects, musical instruments, religious objects and books. More than 1,500 of them are exhibited inside the building.




Route of the trip                                                                 End of line, trolley-bus no. 4

  1. Museum entrance
  2. Windmills  –Sescauti village, Novoselski rayon
  3. Underground house (old house) VIIIth century
  4. Shepherds’ dwelling - Creciunivca area, Putila rayon, year 1962
  5. House – Vicno village, Zastavnivchi rayon, year 1891
  6. Shop – Novoseletia village, Kelmenetchi rayon, years 1920-30
  7. Windmill – Rucseni village, Hotentchi rayon
  8. Blacksmith’s shop – Colinkivti village, Hotena rayon, year 1920
  9. House - Gavrealivti village, Kitman rayon, year 1860
  10. House –Laskivca village, Kitman rayon, year 1875
  11. House – Ridkivtiс village, Novoselski rayon, year 1835
  12. Mayoralty (local council) –Revne village, Kitman village, year 1933
  13. Fountain
  14. St Nicholas Church –Dracenti village, Kitman rayon, year 1810
  15. Old gate
  16. Small stage
  17. Big stage


We are always ready to welcome you to visit our exhibition at the following address:

Ukraine, Chernivtsi town, str. Moskovscoi olimpiade, 38-B.
(the visitor should take trolley bus no. 4 until the end of the line “Folk Architecture Museum”.)



58023 Chernivtsi, Ukraine

Str. Svitlovodska, 2


tel/fax  +38(03722)6 29 70

              +38 (0372)90 70 73